Saturday, August 4, 2012

My Romance in Raleigh


I kind of feel like I’ve been on a string of dates with Raleigh. When I first met her, I was a little nervous, not quite sure what I thought and just hoping for the best.

But so far, she’s shown me a great time. Downtown Raleigh is full of life! Boutique shops have opened up left and right, eateries to keep you full for days on end, the craft beer movement is incredibly present here (there’s even a craft beer tasting bar/store), and there’s a great sense of pride among all the Raleighites for their city that’s almost contagious. Parts of Raleigh seem to be a little behind the rest of the scene, but read some of the blogs online and they all say to give the up-and-coming city a few more years. It does seem like Raleigh has a bright future ahead of it.


Seeing that I’m always wearing khakis at Shubie’s, you probably don’t know that I love jeans. A great pair of jeans is worth it to me (like a great bottle of wine for some of you). So I happen to come across The Raleigh Denim Co (no, seriously, I walked right by it without knowing it existed!). They actually make raw denim right on site. Raw denim is denim that has never been washed or treated with anything, so basically it’s up to you how it ages. It’s recommended to go swimming in the ocean, run in the rain, find some mud, etc…and not wash them for 3-6 months! Raw denim is a little tougher at first, but it’s up to you to break it in.

A few blocks up I stumbled upon Feelgoodz, a flip-flop company. Feelgoodz makes flip flops out of totally recyclable and biodegradable materials, using natural dyes and are ethically sourced. Cool company, cool idea, cool product (you should check it out).

The restaurant scene is booming in Raleigh. Each restaurant takes great strides to use fresh, local produce, eggs and meat. You can taste the difference. The beef all seems so much more tender and flavorful, the fruits and veggies all bursting with flavors. I’ve been fortunate enough to eat at four of Raleigh’s best restaurants, and each one shined in their own way; truly demonstrating fresh, quality ingredients is all you need. (I even had fish tacos, but they couldn’t rival Chef Lynne’s). I've dined at the following (feel free to email me or stop in and ask me about my meals if you want more details!):




After a few days with Raleigh, I’m getting used to her and she’s been taking me to all the right spots. I feel more comfortable and don’t even need Google Maps any more to guide me (my dad won’t believe that one!). But it’s true! I’ve also totally enjoyed all the service at each restaurant. Each server and bartender (two bartenders know my name already—not sure if that’s good or bad) is so attentive and genuinely seems to care to make sure I’ve had an exceptional experience, which is something I always appreciate.

When I was at Raleigh’s very own chocolate factory, Videri (I’ll get to that tomorrow in my blog), the tour guide said, “I’ve lived in Raleigh my whole life and it just keeps getting better and better.”

Would I be ready to move in with Raleigh, so to speak? I don’t know if I could live here permanently (it’s a little too hot), but after my inaugural visit, I’d gladly come back and visit her (and eat and drink my way through…who’s with me…first round is on me)!

Your Foodie Friend,
Dougy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers