Sunday, August 7, 2011

What a pair

American Cheese Society Cheese Conference, Day 3:


Bill and I did make quite the pair this year in Montreal, if we may say so ourselves, but I'm not talking about ourselves.

Yes, we did just attend the American Cheese Society’s Festival of Cheese tonight, where 1,686 cheeses were on display (yes, you read that right: 1,686) and we took cheese seminars and ate cheese all week, but fortunately the ACS likes to share the spotlight.

We’re talking pâtés, chutneys, preserves, pickled veggies, crackers, and even chocolate. It is important to have standout cheeses on your cheese plate, of course, but having the right accompaniments
(an aspect that is often overlooked) should be just as important. Pairings take two separate eating experiences and combine them into a single, elevated eating experience. Here are some of the highlights from tonight:

Maybe the easiest and most often way of pairing cheese is going the jam root. But which jam is right for you? Carol and Debbie became big fans of Schoolhouse Kitchen ever since they tasted the line in D.C. at the food show. And Bill and I were so happy to see Wendy, one of the owners, tonight displaying the line. Bill and I tasted at the table separately and, without discussing at all, we both instantly fell for the Rhubarb Raspberry Thyme spread (how's that for a brother-brother connection). The subtle rhubarb tang mixed with the bright sweetness of raspberry is gently touched with thyme. I could definitely see pairing with Jasper Hill’s Moses Sleeper or an Italian Robiola. Or with Batch Vanilla ice cream! Breakfast at midnight anyone? (Remember: it’s about the cheese! Do not smother the cheese! A little goes a long way. I want to still know that I’m eating fromage.)
 
I was so glad to see Rick’s Picks because a) I think they have killer pickles, and b) they saved me. Yes, I was saved by pickles. After tasting dozens of cheeses at a time, it was the perfect break. But Rick’s Picks aren’t ordinary pickles. Their aromatic Phat Beets have hints of rosemary, ginger and lemon and are a must for a fresh chevere like Capricho de Cabra. I tried the Smokra—pickled okra with paprika. I think Jina, the pickle princess, was ready to cut me off. I just couldn’t stop! I can’t wait to put these on my next sandwich or for an easy app, wrap them in prosciutto. And seriously, the Handy Corn relish I was eating by the spoonfuls. An ever so slightly kick from aji peppers, the relish is awesome as a salsa and is a perfect match for Parrano gouda or Black Diamond Cheddar. We don’t have the whole line yet, but keep your eyes out for it.
 
And we were thrilled to see our neighbors from Sommerville—Taza Chocolate! Chocolate and cheese? Believe it! I think the nuttiness of Aged Mahon would be perfect with Salted Almond Mexicano or taking La Tur with Taza 70% Stone Ground Chocolate. I know Bill and I both can’t wait to get back and test out more duos.

We'll write more about our cheese favorites soon (after all, this was a cheese conference), but next time you pick up your favorite cheese, ask yourself, “What will make this even better?” Or you can just ask us!

Your foodie friend,
Dougy




What does a room full of 1,686 cheeses look like? Something like this.




1 comment:

  1. Cool stuff guys, I am wondering if some Thyme would go well in our upcomming Rhubarb Raspberry mead that is finishing up, and will start bulk aging soon. Thyme will tell I guess ;)

    Ciao, and nice unique content.

    ReplyDelete

Followers